I’ve never seen the original Baywatch but I know the iconic running on the beach in slow motion scene and the high legged swimsuits the actresses used to wear. The original show ran for just over 10 years (1989 – 1999/2001) and featured David Hasselhoff and Pamela Anderson. Currently, in cinemas, there is a Baywatch film featuring Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson and Zac Efron.
Yesterday, I went to go see it with some friends. We kind of missed the first five/ ten minutes of the film but I don’t think we missed anything important, at least I hope not. The film was definitely different to what I was expecting but it was quite funny.
Here are some of my thoughts on the film:
- Don’t go with any expectations. That doesn’t mean it’s going to be bad. But like I’ll mention at a later point, it’s not the film you’ll think it will be.
- Can we just have a moment to talk about Zac Efron’s body, please? There is absolutely no way that body belonged to him. No way. At all. It had to be fake or a stunt double because I have never seen Zac Efron so beefed up before. He looks like he’s been training with Dwayne ‘The Rock’ Johnson. Picture The Rock’s body from Fast and Furious 6 onto Zac Efron, bulging muscles and visible veins. Unreal, right? Plus, they had to have contoured his abs or something because they didn’t even look real and his body was darker than his face (probably fake tan). I would be shocked if that was his actual body.
- The film was quite funny, a lot of silly laughs. It wasn’t full on belly clenching laughs but it was little and often so you was always laughing at something.
- Like in Bad Neighbours, some of the jokes were a little umm… inappropriate and ridiculous. The morgue scene was something else, I was trapped between not wanting to watch it but then I couldn’t not watch it, so my hand ended up covering my eyebrows while I peeked underneath.
- There was one joke that I think I found funnier than anyone else and that was when Mitch (played by The Rock) called Matt Brody (played by Zac Efron) ‘High School Musical’ which for some reason I found hilarious. You know, because he was Troy in High School Musical. I was still laughing at it like five minutes later when everyone else had moved on.
- I’d say the main issue with the film is that it was given the wrong name. The film felt like a mix of Baywatch, Fast and Furious, 22 Jump Street and maybe a little bit of Bad Neighbours. It has a lot of traits from other films and I feel like the beach was just the backstory in the film, which is why I feel like it should have had a different name.